Soft, fudgy, chocolatey Christmas cake…what more could you want from a sweet treat?
* 150g of coconut butter, at room temperature
* 70g of dark chocolate, chopped up
* 300g of almond flour
* 1 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
* 1 teaspoon of organic baking powder @steenbergsltd
* 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt @steenbergsltd
* 40g of nsweetened cocoa powder
* 300g of coconut sugar
* 3 eggs at room temperature, beaten
* 1.5 teaspoons of vanilla extract @steenbgersltd
For the Topping:
100g of good quality dark chocolate, melted
Festive foraging of your choice, I went with rosehips, heather and mixed nuts
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or gas mark 4 and grease a cake tin with olive oil, line with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Place the coconut butter and chopped unsweetened chocolate in a medium-sized heat-safe bowl on top of a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan that contains a small amount of simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the surface of the water. Allow the water to simmer, stirring the chocolate and coconut butter occasionally, until the mixture is melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and set aside to cool briefly.
- In a large bowl, place the almond flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. Set the bowl of dry ingredients aside.
- To the bowl of melted chocolate and butter, add the coconut sugar, eggs and vanilla, mixing to combine after each addition. Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, and add the buttermilk and then the chocolate and butter mixture, and mix to combine.
- The cake batter should be thick and glossy. Pour the batter and smooth the top with a wet spatula. Place in the centre of the preheated oven and bake, rotating once during baking, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of each cake comes out with no more than a few moist crumbs attached (about 25 minutes). 6. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely and decorating your Christmas chocolate fudge cake! ?