Colombo Curry Powder or Poudre De Colombo is a wonderfully aromatic spice blend that is used for Caribbean curries especially. Our version has very little spice heat in it as it has no chilli, giving you the freedom to add as much chilli as you like! Our chicken Colombo pays tribute to this deliciously exotic curry by using fresh coconut flesh and extra sweet tricolour cherry tomatoes
- 1kg of chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of Colombo Curry Powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground turmeric
- 1.5 teaspoons of sea salt and a pinch of white pepper
- 1 sweet potato, cut into smallish chunks
- 400g of tricolour cherry tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 400g of coconut cream + 250ml of coconut milk
- 3-4 birds eye chillies (optional)
- Fresh edible flowers, for decoration (optional)
- Heat the coconut oil and sauté the onions and garlic until softened. Add the chicken drumsticks to the pan and sauté for a few minutes before adding the Colombo Curry Powder and the rest of the spices, then continue sautéing and making sure the chicken is nicely coated in the curry powder.
- Add the sweet potato and chosen cherry tomatoes and enough water just to cover the ingredients, then pour in the coconut cream and milk and the birds eye chillies at this stage, if using.
- Let the curry simmer away for 30-40 minutes until the sauce has thickened and developed, and the chicken is completely cooked. Best served hot with a side of vegetables or over broken coconut creamed rice, mmmm!!