Just as I write this recipe, I have a generous slice of my spiced apple cake looking at me, teasing me…oh but it’s just so mouthwatering I tell you! The classic combo of apple and spice is the very essence of this cake and it’s all thanks to Steenbergs organic apple pie mix. ? It has all the spices you need to bring out the comforting and warming favours of an apple cake including cassia, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and so much more.
I do hope you whip it up this Autumn, a real crowd pleaser of a cake as I have yet to find someone who doesn’t love it!
180g of coconut butter
150g of coconut sugar
3 medium eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract @steenbergsltd
3 apples, peeled, cored and cut into bite size pieces
1 teaspoon of apple pie mix @steenbergsltd
1 teaspoon of baking powder @steenbergsltd
The zest of 1 lemon
A pinch of sea salt @steenbergsltd
200g of gluten free plain flour
A light sprinkling of powdered stevia
100ml of almond milk
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees or gas mark 4 and grease a brownie pan well and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, cream together the coconut butter and coconut sugar, add the lemon zest, eggs, vanilla extract and sea salt and mix to combine.
3) Add the almond milk and whisk it all together so you have a smooth mixture.
4) Add the gluten free flour along with the baking powder, apple pie mix and mix it together just long enough to combine the dry ingredients.
5) Add in the apples with about 3 tbsp extra gf flour and toss them to coat. Now add the apples to the batter and fold them in.
6) Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake it for about one hour to an hour and fifteen minutes or until fully cooked through.
7) Allow it to cool completely, invert onto a platter and dust generously with powdered stevia.
Note: The batter might need to get thinned out with a bit of extra almond milk or thickened with a little extra flour, just judge it based on the consistency you get at the end.