I always make gluten free shortbread at this time of year. It’s such a fresh and crisp biscuit that’s easy to make and I really enjoy baking it for my loved ones. This year, I’ve added almond extract from Steenbergs giving it that rich and sweet flavour. Everytime I use it, it reminds me of a sweet and fragrant bakewell tart…I just can’t get enough!
Makes around 9 round shortbread biscuits
200g unsalted butter (at room temperature), plus extra for greasing
100g coconut sugar
250g gluten-free plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon of almond extract @steenbergsltd
3 tablespoons of water
2 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4, and grease a couple of baking trays with the extra butter.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy, then add the almond extract. Stir in the flour and the baking powder and bring together into a dough, use water if needed at this stage.
- Place on the prepared baking tray then roll into a large round. Prick with a fork and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Bring out from the fridge and cut your shortbread into the desired shape and place in the oven, bake the shortbread for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove and leave to cool on the tray before decorating. I have used icing sugar which has been dyed with beetroot and açai berry powder.