Soft, tender, and moist ricotta cake meets cloud-like whipped double cream, sweet strawberry compote, and a generous drizzle of Hilltop’s Brazilian Mountain honey to finish this decadent dessert off. What could be better?
200g of light brown sugar
3 tbsps of Brazilian honey
The zest of 2 lemons
250g of plain flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon of sea salt
225g of ricotta cheese
4 tbsps of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
100g of unsalted butter
2 large eggs
200ml of double cream, whipped to soft peaks
3-4 tbsps of strawberry compote
Icing sugar, for dusting
Edible flowers, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease your baking tin and flour the sides and bottom. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarb and sea salt. Set aside and combine the ricotta, lemon juice and vanilla in a large measuring cup. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the butter, lemon, sugar and honey. Using an electric mixer/by hand, beat for several minutes or until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Whisk until incorporated. Add ½ of the ricotta mixture and blend until smooth. Repeat adding ½ of the remaining flour, then all of the remaining ricotta. Finally blend in all remaining flour. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and fold gently with a spatula to ensure the batter is well mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with no wet batter. Moist crumbs are great!
- Cool for at least 20 minutes before removing the sides of the pan. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature garnished with a dusting of icing sugar, a dollop of whipped double cream and strawberry compote. We love to drizzle extra honey over ours for an extra indulgent treat!