This doesn’t need much of an introduction but we can tell you that this fried rice is literally found everywhere in Thailand.
Khao Phad Ruan Mit or Thai Fried Rice is very savoury and contains fish sauce and nuggets of tender chicken breast as oppose to nasi goreng which has a fried egg on top or egg fried rice which traditionally remains veggie too and contains scrambled egg.
- For the rice:
- 300g of cooked rice (preferably a few days old)
- 2 boneless chicken breast, chopped into nuggets
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce/tamari sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of thai spice @steenbergsltd
- A sprinkling of black sesame seeds @steenbergsltd
- A sprinkling of chilli flakes, optional @steenbergsltd
- 1 bell pepper, any colour or 2 romano peppers, sliced
- Fresh mint and a wedge of lime, for garnish
- For Fried Rice Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper @steenbergsltd – combine all of these ingredients, ready for the rice
- Start off by adding your chopped chicken in a bowl and add your soy/tamari sauce. Stir well and set aside.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over high or medium-high heat. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of oil and swirl around, then add the spring onion plus the garlic powder, ground turmeric and thai spice.
- Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the chicken. Stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes, or until chicken turns evenly opaque.
- Add your bell pepper and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes, until everything is cooked through. If your wok or pan becomes too dry, add a little more oil or 1 to 2 tablespoons chicken stock.
Keeping the heat high, add the rice. Stir-fry using a spatula or other flat utensil to gently lift and turn the rice.
Gradually begin adding the stir-fry sauce, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time. Continue stir-frying 6 to 10 minutes, or until all the sauce has been added. Continue stir-frying everything together over high heat 2 more minutes or until rice is light and falls easily into separate grains.
- Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning, garnish with black sesame seeds, chilli flakes (if using) and serve with a wedge of lime and fresh mint.
#Thaifriedrice #mmm #easy #deeelish #Thailand #Thaiweek #summer #steenbergs #golden #chickennuggets #savoury #easy #flavour #thaispice #turmeric #chilli #traditional #yum