Would you like to know the easiest vegan pesto in 5 minutes? My God, this pesto is so satisfying. Cheesy and flavourful despite being dairy-free, plus an option for lower oil/fat. It’s the perfect plant-based spread for Italian dishes and so much more!
• 120g of packed fresh basil
• 3 Tbsp of toasted sunflower seeds or pine nuts
• 2 large cloves garlic (peeled)
• 3 Tbsp lemon juice
• 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
• 1/4 tsp chunky pyramid sea salt (plus more to taste) @steenbergsltd
• 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 3-6 Tbsp water (plus more as needed)
• 1 tablespoon of dried coriander plus extra for garnishing @steenbergsltd
- To a food processor or small blender, add the basil, nuts, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and sea salt and blend/mix on high until a loose paste forms.
- Add olive oil a little at a time (streaming in while the machine is on if possible) and scrape down sides as needed. Then add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water at a time until the desired consistency is reached – a thick but pourable sauce. (If avoiding oil altogether, sub the oil with vegetable broth or just use all water.)
- Taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for cheesy flavour, salt for overall flavour, nuts for nuttiness, garlic for bite / zing, or lemon juice for acidity. Add your dried coriander at the end and gently incorporate it in your finished pesto sauce.
Top tip: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week. After that, pour into ice cube moulds, freeze, and store up to 1 month or more.